“But if you’re buying a new phone, isn’t that just more stuff?”
Very true. In my quest to disconnect from the tech I, ironically, need to buy new tech – a new phone (more stuff).
So I came up with a plan. Sell stuff that I already own. Use this new money to buy the new phone. Apps such as ‘Kijiji’ and ‘Let Go’ enable you to sell things that you no longer need. So, that is what I did.
A Light Phone 2 costs about $500 Canadian. How did this translate in terms of selling stuff that I already own? Here’s the breakdown:
- 1 guitar amplifier that I no longer use (I have 4)
- 1 ten year old flat screen T.V. (I have 3 T.V.s for some reason)
- 1 never opened rodent cage.
- 1 snowboard (I own 2 for some reason)
- 1 vacuum cleaner (yep, I own 2 for some reason)
- 1 blues driver guitar pedal (I have way more pedals than feet)
6 items of stuff sold. 1 new item of stuff to be purchased (Light Phone 2). I have reduced my overall stuff by 5! Stuff math rocks!
It took about 6 weeks to sell all of these things. I saved the cash at home until I had enough to buy the phone. I took the complete amount to the bank, deposited it, returned home, and ordered my Light Phone 2.